Tennis Looks To Improve

The Owls are hoping to compete for another district and conference championship this season.

Joel Farmer, Staff Writer

A new season of tennis has arrived as many returnees and beginners are excited for the new season.

Coach Doc Carranza said, “We are going to be pretty decent…We should be able to contend for conference and districts and possibly having an equal opportunity at winning either one of them.”

He expects big things out of his No. 1 and No. 2 players, Parker Schaffer and Caleb Rueweler. Last season, Rueweler was one match away from going to state. He looks to lead the Owls this season. The Owls are hoping to improve on last season’s success.

“Last year the boys performed better than expected and hopefully we can build upon the success this year,” Carranza said.

Sophomore Brandon Ruegge hopes his arm will heal soon so he can partake in the action this season after breaking it during the offseason. Sophomore Nathan Harrington is also recovering from an offseason collarbone injury. For the time time being, the Owls have the athletes to take their place.

“People have to step up. The younger kids are going to have to step up to the varsity. Luckily, they are underclassmen and can gain some experience.”

Historically, the tennis team does very well in conference and postseason play. The Owl’s head coach expects that to continue.

Carranza said, “We have the same expectations every year. Win the conference, win districts and send at least one person to state.”