Windsor Tries To ‘Save A Life’

The “Save a Life Tour” visited Windsor on Tuesday.

Brogan Eyre, Staff Editor

Recently, many high schools have jumped from solely focusing on drunk driving awareness to now including the dangers of distracted driving. Many people are unaware of the constant stream of potential hazards that dominate everyday tasks such as driving and crossing the street. The Official US Government Website for Distracted Driving reported that ten percent of drivers, 15 to 19 years old, involved in fatal car accidents, cited distracted driving as the cause for their crashes.

On Tuesday, March  21, Windsor High School students were visited by an organization that aims to lessen the terrible effects of distracted driving by showing students exactly what kind of consequences pertain to such a careless action.

“The Keeping Memories Alive Foundation partnered with Missouri Department Transportation, and they are responsible for setting this assembly up. Both organizations are partnered with Windsor, and they are the reason why I was able to come out here and talk to you guys,” Christopher Rich, coordinator of The Save a Life Tour, said.

The Save a Life Tour features an interactive presentation where students are able to actively see the effects of both distracted and intoxicated driving.

“The Save a Life Tour gets usually the same response everywhere. The student’s response is usually neutral; there is no different feel to their reactions. Our aim is just to get the kids talking in the hallway in every school. We want to make to make an impression on the students. The most impressionable moments are when the students are able to share a story with you. Although there is the same vibe between the different schools we go to, it’s a positive same,” Rich said.

The presentation highlights the dangerous repercussions of bad choices by allowing students to see real life instances where families were the victims or instigators of absent minded driving. The film includes heartfelt messages to students about the risks of breaking the law and the emotional toll of those impacted.

“I hope this influences the students. I hope they see the results of distracted driving through the video, and I think it is pretty cool they get to see it through a stimulator as well,” English teacher Kristy Pardeck said.

Some students became emotional during a video that was shown to the entire school during first hour.

“I spoke to some students who said they were crying because of the video, so hopefully it makes a difference in their thinking. A couple students told me about how affected they were by everything. I think the presentation was necessary, but I wish they could present it to all levels every year because driving is a part of everyone’s life. A lot of people don’t realize what could happen–it is just a vague notion in their mind. They don’t see it, so they don’t think about the consequences. I think it’s a good opportunity for them to see the consequences,” Pardeck said.