Swinging For More

The Owls golf team hopes to have its first state qualifier in nearly a decade.

Drew Kinder, Staff Writer

It has been nearly a decade since a Windsor golfer competed in the state tournament. Cameron Crow was the last Windsor golf to advance to the state tournament in 2008.

The wait has been long enough.

Junior Kyle Rudden, who advanced to sectionals during his freshman and sophomore seasons, is looking to extend his season by punching a ticket to the state tournament.

“It will be a good season, and I should have a solid chance to go to state. It is important to keep my mind right and work hard. I also think the team should finish above 500. Due to our consistency. I hope we can get a couple of guys through to sectionals,” Rudden said.

Kyle Rudden and Junior Kameron Givens were scramble partners in the Windsor tournament held at Union Hills. The experienced juniors shot a score of 76 on 18 holes to get second place. Kameron Givens has goals and hopes to advance past districts.

“I believe I have a good chance at making sectionals. I will continue to go to the driving range and go to the course over the weekends,” Givens said.

The Owls began the season 5-3, so the team has been trending in the right direction.

“We should compete for the conference championship, and at least be in the top 3. We have been very consistent this year, and we should be able to get two or three people through to sectionals. We have experienced seniors and juniors, but it hurts that Jacob Helderle has been injured,” head coach Wayne Montgomery said.