Fishing For A New Job

With Jeff Fisher as the head coach, the Rams continued to be a laughingstock in the NFL.

Austin Jones, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, the Los Angeles Rams finally stopped delaying the inevitable–they fired  head coach Jeff Fisher. Rams Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff and owner Stan Kroenke made the final decision to terminate Fisher.

Demoff said, “This was all an organizational failure.”

That may be the truest statement Demoff has ever made.

Demoff, the same man who continuously made deceiving comments to St. Louis Rams fans, had finally seen enough of Fisher. So far, Demoff has been backed by Kroenke, but Kroenke isn’t exactly a man of his word. When Kroenke became the majority owner of the Rams in 2010, Kroenke said in an interview with the St. Louis Dispatch that he was “going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis.”

Did he really do that?

You be the judge.

But why would the Rams fire Fisher on a week in which they play Seattle on Thursday night football? Yes, the same Fisher who just signed a two-year contract extension this summer. For some mysterious reason, the deal was signed over the summer, but was not known until last week.

Maybe the Rams knew the extension wouldn’t be popular with the new LA fan base.

Fisher’s firing came after a 42-14 blowout loss against the Atlanta Falcons. This put the Rams at a 4-9 record, and marked Fisher’s 165th career loss, which tied him with Dan Reeves for the most career losses.

Many St. Louis fans were hoping the Rams would keep Fisher for at least one more week so he could become the NFL’s biggest loser.

After starting the year 3-1, the Rams have dropped 8 of their last 9 games. The loss to the Falcons guaranteed the tenth consecutive losing seasons for the Rams.

The Rams last winning season was back in 2003. To put that in perspective, the current freshmen at Windsor were 1 or 2 years old the last time the Rams had a winning record.  Remarkably, St. Louis continued to sell out games until the last few seasons. Even though it is the Rams first season back in LA, the highly populated market is already struggling to support the Rams. Boos could be heard throughout the LA Coliseum last week.  Maybe the fans could see that the Rams have not had a better record than 7-8-1 under Fisher and nothing seemed to be changing. If anything else, it may be getting worse.

That is why the Rams had to get rid of Fisher. The new fan base had already seen enough. The feud Fisher had with Eric Dickerson seemed to speed up the process.

Unfortunately for LA fans, the Rams are still owned by Stan Kroenke. For him, it seems money is more important than winning. After firing Fisher, Kroenke said that his goal is to celebrate a title with the LA fans.

At the moment, it’s hard to envision that happening any time soon.