Familiar Faces, New Places

Teachers Stephanie Thayer and Tom Ludwig will have new roles for the 2017-18 school year.

Stephanie Thayer will be an assistant principal next year at Windsor High School.

Austin Jones, Staff Writer

For over the past decade, the activities director at Windsor also had assistant principal duties.  Now, the job will be split into two positions.

Beginning in the 2017-18 school year, Tom Ludwig will be the new activities director and Stephanie Thayer will be the new assistant principal. Essentially, Ludwig takes the position Kevin Stoffey held for one year. Stoffey filled in after Jason Naucke moved over to become the head principal of the high school after the passing of David Gilmore.

“The time demands are great due to the fact that we have countless teams and activities that require basically six days a week of supervision,” current activities director Kevin Stoffey said. “We have 55 different teams at various levels, in addition to dozens of activities, including: band, choir, musicals, speech, Christmas at Windsor Castle, etc.”

At Windsor, Ludwig has spent time as a football coach, wrestling coach and has been the teacher in the alternative school for the past five years.

Previously, Ludwig was a history teacher at Festus High School for seven years. He was also a track and field coach at Festus. Prior to going to Festus, Ludwig also taught for one year at North Kansas City High School and spent two years coaching at the college level.

“I am excited to take the position,” Ludwig said. “I am hoping to impact Windsor High School in a positive way.”

Last summer, Thayer was the summer school principal of the high school. Thayer has taught science at Windsor for the past seven years. Previously, Thayer spent four years as a teacher at Troup-Texas, and she was an athletic trainer for two years at Troup as well. Thayer was also a teacher at Commerce-Texas for three years.  

“I am looking forward to taking on the position, and still work with the amazing teachers and amazing students here at Windsor,” Thayer said.

Thayer has not only been a teacher, but she has spent time coaching as well. She previously coached cheerleading and track and field for two years.

Since the 2004-05 school year, the activities director position also included assistant principal responsibilities.

“The positions had to be split, especially having a school with around 1000 students,” Naucke said.  

Naucke, who held the Assistant Principal/Activities Director position for seven years, was pleased with the decision to split the job into two separate positions. 

“It was not my decision. It was the central office who made that call, but I believe it is a great decision,” Naucke said. “I am glad with who took the positions and I know they will be great.”