Leaving A Legacy

The Windsor Hall of Fame Class of 2017 was inducted on Friday, September 8.

Brandon Eslamian, Staff Editor

With a new ceremony every two years, the Windsor Hall of Fame recognizes outstanding services, performance and volunteer work outside of high school enrollment from the Windsor School District. This year’s Windsor Hall of Fame has four inductees.

The criteria of being in the Windsor Hall of Fame is mainly influenced by how much service any given person has done for their community after graduating high school. This can be either Windsor students providing community service for their localities, parents of Windsor students helping out in school related activities, or even a long time school board member assisting in a wide range of issues.

Inductees are nominated by graduated Windsor students. Each nominee is then selected by a committee. This year’s Hall of Fame inductees were Carol Engelbach, Sandra Overberg, Christopher Connor and Ashley Ali. The four were recognized at a breakfast ceremony on Friday, September 8, as well as the football game that night.

Carol Engelbach, mother of Office Secretary Tammy Engelbach, served on the Windsor School Board for 10 years (2000-2009).

“That’s definitely my biggest accomplishment,” Carol Engelbach said.

She has also helped serve on the last three bond campaigns, read to first graders for four years, and helped start the Windsor Mother Club in 1974.  

“We’d help out wherever help was needed. If teachers needed somebody to help, they’d call us,” she said.

The Windsor Mother club “isn’t in existence anymore,” according to Engelbach, and is now going by the Windsor Parents’ Association. Since she wasn’t a Windsor graduate, she was an honorary inductee this year.

Sandra Overberg, owner of Home Service Oil Company, graduated Windsor High School with the Class of 1972–the third graduating class of Windsor High School. Her graduating class only had 63 people. The class of 2018 has 235 people.

“It’s unbelieveable. That’s the biggest change–the growth,” Overberg said.

Overberg has served on several different boards and committees, including the Jefferson County YMCA Board and the 5Kimmswick Sponsor Committee.

“I guess it’s just in your blood–my parents were both very active in their community, so I felt that it’s just something that needs to be done. My goal is to help people,” Overberg said.

Christopher Connor is a Radiologist at Mercy Hospital Jefferson in Festus. Graduating as the valedictorian in the Class of 2001, Connor accumulated a slew of academic awards and recognitions, opening himself up for various scholarships and other programs such as the Missouri Scholars Academy.

“Attending the Missouri Scholars Academy kind of set the path for me in what I wanted to do. I’d say that’s the most important thing I did in high school,” he said.

While he attended Mizzou, he was a Student Delegate of the Missouri State Medical Association, and found himself on the Dean’s list.

Ashley Ali (Haegele) is an orthopedic surgeon, sibling of Windsor High School Counselor Andrea Reed, and a former Windsor student. Graduating as valedictorian from the class of 2004, Ali attended Florida Gulf Coast University on a Division I basketball scholarship. Overall, she is the third leading scorer in Windsor’s history–just behind her sister, Andrea, who is second on the all-time list.  Ali also garnered enormous amounts of recognition during her years in medical school, gaining several awards, such as the Coe Distinction in Community service award.

“(Former Windsor counselor) Mrs. (Jan) Speck told me to go into medicine. I told her ‘no way, I’m never going into medicine.’ I hate hospitals. But, I did what I loved, and doing so led me into medicine. People who are volunteering, helping people, and are community servants… those are the type of people that need to be in medicine,” Ali said.

After the award ceremony on Friday morning, the inductees were given a tour of the school, taking note of some of the drastic changes to the district over the years.

Less than a decade ago, the football field was usually an eyesore by the end of the fall season. Now, Windsor athletes are spoiled by the turf field.

“The football field is incredible,” Ali said.

When Conner was a Windsor student, the new gym was not even in existence yet.

“There’s just so many additions to the building; the new gym is pretty nice,” Connor said .

However, for Overberg, the high school has changed the most.

“This building wasn’t even here when I graduated,” Overberg said.