Carranza Continues To Lead

Even though he is retired from teaching, Doc Carranza is once again leading the Windsor tennis programs.

Abby Comia, Staff Writer

Doc Carranza just won’t go away.

While he recently retired as a teacher, Doc Carranza is still the head coach of the boys’ and girls’ tennis teams. Carranza has been coaching tennis at Windsor for 20 years. He began the girl’s program six years ago.

The 2017 girls tennis team is already exceeding expectations. However, the Owls graduated most of their varsity lineup from last year, so there have been some growing pains. 

“I think we’re doing better than they expected. At the beginning of the year, everyone was so young and hardly ever played varsity, that I didn’t know what to expect, so we are doing a lot better than I thought,” Carranza said.

While Carranza has won several district titles over the years, the Owls are having another successful season.

“Although the team has improved on their hitting, they could improve on their all around play and being more aggressive. They rally with people and that’s the big thing–they want to be able to keep the ball in play and the little things help,” Carranza said.

The Owls No. 1 player this season is Madi New. New believes the team could work on getting the ball over the net and being able to aim their shots.

“I don’t really consider myself the star player, but I am proud that I came from being one of the bottom in my freshman year to all the way to the top now, and it was a lot of work but I love the team,” New said. “Tennis is my stress reliever and I just love playing the sport. My season is not going great, but all I know is even if I lose that, I play well and I give it my all. (Coach) Carranza tells me to go down swinging.”

The Owls next play today at 4pm at Dexter.