Stray Rescue Drive

Windsor helps out a number of organizations, including Stray Rescue.

Kayla Moore, Staff Writer

It’s that time again–Windsor High School is hosting their annual Stray Rescue Drive. The Windsor school district has been helping the Stray Rescue for over six years; this event takes place throughout the month of October where students and faculty can donate items for animals in need.

The Stray Rescue is an organization that takes in homeless animals and provides them with the proper care they need. Stray Rescue is the largest no-kill organization in the city of St. Louis and surrounding area. Stray Rescue collects animals from various situations: abandoned, abused, and neglected; currently there are 340 foster families.

“Jodi, who used to work at the intermediate center, was the one who originated this whole program, then it transitioned to being a district fundraiser.  Since then, Jodi has passed away, so in her legacy and the fact I have three rescue dogs myself, this cause is strongly important to me,” said assistant principal Rachel Montgomery.

“We are constantly giving donations to the Stray Rescue, even after the month of October. I personally order through Chewy.com, and I make sure to order additional gifts that we give out to them. Also, during Christmas time, we have a Girl’s Christmas and in order to participate, you have to bring something to donate to the Stray Rescue. I think there are a lot of ways I personally help them, but our school district has done an amazing job of making donations for them as well,” Montgomery said.

Stray Rescue isn’t the only association that Windsor is helping out.

Montgomery said, “We are always ready to help out other organizations; we do events throughout the school year as a district. We collect toys in December and give those away to Jefferson County families as Christmas gifts, and we also do different events as they come up. We just recently had a pink out game and collected donations through the soccer team. So, we are always willing to donate time and volunteers as things come up and as they are needed.”

Students can also get more involved by volunteering their time to Stray Rescue, and other organizations. If looking to donate items, Stray Rescue collects collars, blankets and sheets, animal toys, and money; just $5 provides one dog with three days worth of food. Students can begin donating items to their first hour teachers, and the class with the most donations will receive a doughnut party.

“I think that any time you can give affection and volunteer your time to animals, that’s a good thing,” Montgomery said.