Running For A Purpose

The cross country team will compete in districts this Saturday.

Clay Kusmec and Alex Ahrens have both competed for the Owls this season.

Ryan Daly, Staff Writer

Running cross country takes a special type of athlete. Running in other sports is used for conditioning and punishment. In cross country, it’s all about competing. While being a successful runner obviously takes skill, it also depends on one very important aspect–heart.  

“Most of the kids ran all summer to get in shape for the season.  We have a lot of very dedicated runners who even met at 6am in the morning to get in their workouts if they had scheduling conflicts in the afternoon.  Some kids went from starting out at only 10 miles a week and ended the season running 45 miles a week,” coach Kristy Pardeck said.

With districts approaching on October 28 in Dexter, runners are hoping to peak at the right time.

In cross country, the athletes run a 5k. This season’s best times were by senior Clayton Kusmec at 18:05.41 and sophomore Emma Pouvaranukoah at 22:25.54.

Coach John Leech said, “We’re proud off all our runners and think they have pushed themselves to get better throughout the season.”

On the boy’s side, Clayton Kusmec and Alex Ahrens competed for the varsity this season. On the girl’s side, junior Keri Voegtle and Pouvaranukoah led the way.

The cross country season is longer than most of the fall sports because of the training that it takes to be successful.

Leech said, “To prepare for districts, we are starting to dial back our training in order to be as fresh as possible for the district meet.  As we say in cross country ‘the hay is in the barn.’”

The runners have faith in the training they completed throughout the season.

Kusmec said, “ I’m going to do whatever coach Leech tells me to do.”

For others, getting rest is important before districts.

Voegtle said, “I’m going to take lots of ice baths.”