Oh Deer! It’s That Time Of Year!

Students and staff take part in deer season.

Senior+Brendan+Ahrens+recently+brought+home+a+12+point+buck.+

Senior Brendan Ahrens recently brought home a 12 point buck.

Hannah Hooss, Staff Writer

The second Saturday of every November is the start of a new season–deer season. In fact, many districts in certain parts of the state call off school so students can take part in the yearly tradition.  Men, women, and children travel away from the cities and suburbs to trade in their daily life for no wifi and cold five o’clock mornings–all in the name of deer camp. Many students at Windsor participate in this yearly tradition of packing up and heading out for a frosty opening day.

For avid hunters, the early alarm clock is no big deal.  Before heading out, hunters throws on layers of clothes, socks, gloves, hats and the mandatory orange.

Senior Brendan Ahrens headed up north about four hours and brought home a beautiful twelve point buck.

“I was hunting a fresh scrape and a doe came about fifteen yards away. I was going to shoot the doe, but then I turned my head to the right and I see this buck. It was so close I didn’t want to move, so I waited a little until it turned its back, so I lifted my gun up and it looked at me. I guess it saw me move, so it booked it down the woods and I shot it midair. It was sick,” Ahrens said.

Freshman Morgan Kelley went three and a half hours south for her opening day.

“We usually get up around 5:30, get out there before 6:30, and come back around noon for lunch. We head back out around 2:30 and come back at dark. It’s an all day thing,” Kelley said.

Although gun season is upon us, so is bow season. Junior Devon Roberts prefers bow hunting over rifle season.

“Bow hunting is more of a challenge. You’re a lot closer. I like when you get to see them, you get to see how they casually act, so it makes it fun,” Roberts said.

Windsor students aren’t the only ones that hunt. One of Windsor’s science teachers, John Darmody, loves to hunt. The teacher has been hunting since the age of 12.

“The part that makes me like it is being outside and being in the woods. I also believe other people should hunt because their is a big disconnect on where our food actually comes from,” Darmody said.