Musical Cast Preparing To Bring It

After performing Bring It On last year, the students will perform Seven Brides For Seven Brothers this year.

The+musical+will+take+place+February+24-26.+

Courtesy of Mrs. Honz

The musical will take place February 24-26.

Brogan Eyre, Staff Editor

Every year, hundreds of students, teachers, and parents crowd the seats of the auditorium, filling it to its occupancy, excitingly waiting to see the display of talent that only comes around once a year. The annual musical is a chance for the student body to see individual students that might usually go under the radar showcase their unique ability to act, sing, and dance successfully through a two hour production.

This year’s production is Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, and it will be performed February 22-24 at 7pm.  Tickets are $5 for students and $8 for adults.

The play is centered around a newly-wed couple, Milly and Adam, who retreat back to Adam’s family farm only to find his six uncivilized brothers still unwed. Milly takes it upon herself to teach the boys manners, but it ends in catastrophe.

“I definitely didn’t expect being in a lead role. But when I was listening to and watching the movie, I saw many similarities between Milly, the lead woman character, and me, both personality and voice wise. It feels amazing to really get on the stage and almost be yourself because you are really the character in question, and, really, the lead feels no different than the ensemble. The only difference is making sure you say the words right and know where to be at what time more often,” senior Georgia Eirvin said.

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers is an entirely different type of musical from last year’s production of Bring It On. While Bring It On focused on a depiction of present day teens battling out over a cheerleading competition, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers represents a different age of America. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers takes place in Oregon in 1850 despite being released on film in 1954.

“I think this musical will be a drastically different experience from last years, moving from a contemporary musical to one from the 50s. It will be hard to compare this to Bring It On, but the cast will still have the same energy from last year. For Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, I’m looking forward to more old timey dances, like square dances and barn dances, and I get to be sporting the attire of an old hunter and outdoorsman,” senior Tyler Lingle said.

Throughout all the chaos of musical season, French teacher Lisa Honz works tirelessly to ensure each year is a hit. She schedules practices on non-school days. She organizes costumes, and she assigns roles and choreography with help from her choreographer Robin Hartley, who has been helping out for nine years. She even designs each new set every year with Steve Hamilton, Windsor graduate James Hamilton’s father, who continued to help Honz even though his own child graduated years prior.

This year’s cast has 33 students in the play.

“The musical is very stressful, and I always compare it to having a baby. You have to do all these preparations, and when the kids do the show, it’s like having the baby. You’re a little sad when it’s all over. It’s just really unique because a bunch of kids get together and pull off an incredible thing, and it’s not just the ones on stage. It’s the kids backstage and the musicians. It’s a ‘takes a village’ sort of thing. The kids especially enjoy seeing their teachers and their friends out in the audience; that’s really fun too. The teachers come up and say they didn’t know so-and-so could act. I could just say that we work really hard. This is a dancing show, so it’s going to be really incredible to see all these kids dancing,” Honz said.