Punching The Clock

Students can now receive an attendance “punch” card for their attendance.

Bella Marco, Staff Writer

Beginning this semester, students are being rewarded for their attendance.

To reward good attendance,  principals Rachel Montgomery, Stephanie Thayer and Jason Naucke decided to give out attendance “punch” cards to everyone who meets the criteria. These cards work as punch cards with different little incentives to reward kids who make sure they come to school. Students must be in school at least 97 percent of the time. Essentially, that means students can’t miss more than two days per semester.

Montgomery said, “These cards were created because I see lots of kids that come to school every day and do what they’re supposed to do and I just think it’s another way to recognize kids doing what they’re supposed to be doing.”

These cards are different for each grade. Seniors have just a bit more on their cards compared to the juniors, and the juniors have more than the sophomores. Then, at the bottom of the chain, the freshman have the least amount of incentives on their cards but is still a fair reward. For example, seniors get $10 off a prom ticket and juniors only get $5 off the ticket, but sophomores and freshman don’t have a prom ticket incentive (as they can’t buy a prom ticket on their own). The cards incentives are different from grade to grade, but to get them all kids must reach 97 percent attendance to receive them.

The majority of students are receiving these cards, but some kids are more excited than others. Keri Voegtle was very excited to receive this card. Voegtle, a junior, hasn’t missed a day of school since third grade.  

“It feels good being rewarded for doing what I do,” Voegtle said.

Other students are very distraught about not receiving these cards.

Junior Madi Miller said, “Tears did fill my eyes when I realized I was 0.3% away from getting this card.”

In the eyes of some students, there is a very strict policy on the 97 percent attendance rate.

The attendance card is not the same as the renaissance card, which also has its share of benefits.

Montgomery said, “The attendance card is a bit harder to receive because you can only miss two days of school but it allows kids to have more academic freedom and it really just depends on what you’re looking for.”