Home Field Advantage–Finally

The baseball and softball team will play on a new turf field on campus next school year.

Taylor Pluff, Staff Writer

Imagine coaching a baseball team that had only one home game the entire season. Five years ago, that was the reality for Windsor’s baseball team.

Rainouts caused the team to play only one home game in 2013.

For years, the softball team had to deal with flooding down at the Imperial Youth Association fields. In 2013, the softball team finally got a field on campus. However, the temporary field still had its share of rainouts.

The baseball and softball team won’t have to deal with home rainouts much longer.

As a result of the passing of the 2017 bond issue, Windsor will have a new turf softball/baseball field, speculated to be finished by the fall. The Owls will also be getting a practice soccer field on the Freer Elementary campus.

“The baseball and softball teams will finally have a field to call home,” athletic director Tom Ludwig said.

Windsor head baseball coach Jeff Young is ready to have a field on campus next season. The team will play its last season at the American Legion Post 283 field this spring.

“It will be extremely nice to have our own field,” Young said.

Not having lights has been an issue for the softball team. The new field will have lights, a press box, batting cages and dugouts. 

“Us not being able to play night games has cost our JV to lose a lot of innings over the years. With the field situation before we couldn’t host a district tournament and now we hope to be able to do that,” head softball coach Wayne Montgomery said.

These renovations will not only benefit the baseball and softball teams, but also the soccer and football programs.

“(It will) help the soccer team, football program and band immensely in the fall when it comes to practice,” head boys soccer coach Chris Krueger said.

While the soccer team will have to travel to Freer for practice, there will no longer be the struggle of attempting to squeeze everyone in one place

“The football teams and the band will still have to share the football field, but that is easier with two programs than trying to get three programs on there,” Krueger said.

Windsor athletic teams should be benefiting from these new facilities this fall.

“We’re hoping to finish it by Labor Day. I believe the goal is to start (construction) the last day of school,” Ludwig said.