Windsor Shows Off Its Talent

The third annual Windsor Talent Show was a success.

Brogan Eyre, Staff Editor

The Windsor High School hallways are undoubtedly filled to the brim with talent, but many students do not know just how brightly some individuals shine. The WHS Talent Show is a fairly new tradition started by English teacher Whitney Crabtree to showcase students’ unique abilities in comedy, music, and dance.

This year marked the third annual WHS Talent Show, and it pulled the largest crowd yet. Through ticket sales, the Windsor High School Speech Team made $500 to go towards the cost of their speech meets.

“It was the best show yet. We had the biggest crowd we ever had before. We doubled in money. We doubled in size. We doubled in ticket sales. Mrs. Dalaviras generously donated prizes to the first, second, and third place winners, and I’m so glad everyone had a great time. It really sets the bar for future years,” said Crabtree.

This year’s Talent Show took place on Wednesday, April 18, in the high school auditorium. There were six acts, ranging from sophomore Mike Najar’s SpongeBob-themed impression to Windsor alum Mar’Che Willingham’s original dance routine. Despite the undeniably creative performances, judges John Darmody, Kate Seiter, Steve Roedersheimer and Kelly Stockwell had to pick their winners.

Junior Sophia Roorda performed “Homemade Dynamite” by Lorde. It was her second year performing in the Talent Show, and she plans on performing next year as well.

“It was such a great time, and I really enjoyed all the acts. I got a little nervous during my act because I thought I was off key, but I’m happy that I did well. 55 South really pumped up the crowd with their beach ball, and it was a well deserved win. It was so much fun, and I can’t wait for next year,” said Roorda.

This year junior Maddie Bennett hosted the event along with senior Trent Deevers. The two have been participating in the Talent Show for two years, and after resident MC Thomas Decker graduated, the pair had no alternative except to take charge of the production.

Bennett performed a rendition of Kate Bush’s “Wuthering Heights” for the crowd between acts. Bennett sported a long, brown wig and a red dress similar to the outfit Bush wore in her music video.

“I saw the dance and I knew I needed to do that, so I did. There really is something special about making a room full of people uncomfortable. I feel like the talent show was a huge success this year. I’m extremely proud of everyone involved,” said Bennett.

Freshmen Anthony Johnson, Michael DeWalle, Ryan Scott and Tyler Ballew’s band, 55 South, took home first place. Juniors Kameron Ripple, Morgan Brinley and Abby Clouse’s ensemble, The Harolds, took second for their cover of Twenty One Pilots’ “Friend, Please”, and sophomore Terra Spradling took third for her solo.

“When we heard about the talent show, we knew we would do it because we did the talent show down in the Middle School. We chose our first song months ago, and we added our second show in January. We practiced for so long, and I think we performed great. It was the best that we ever performed our songs. We were so excited to participated, and we thought everyone did great. We were all really happy when we were chosen as the winners. It was a really great experience for all of us,” said Scott.