Windsor Preps For Homecoming

Homecoming week begins on Tuesday.

Students+will+be+building+floats+for+the+parade+on+Friday.+

Students will be building floats for the parade on Friday.

Kayla Moore, Staff Writer

On Saturday, September 29, Windsor High School is coming together from “All Around the World” for their annual homecoming dance.

To carry on the new tradition that started last school year, teachers nominated students to represent on homecoming court. This year’s representatives on homecoming court are freshmen Elle Figler and Mitchell Baer, sophomores Reilly Baughman and Anthony Johnson, and juniors Shawna Hromnak and Grant Siegel. The seniors on court are Morgan Gillick and Nate Browning, Mercedes Moravec and Josh Krupp, Jessica Veselske and Aaron Harrison, Keri Voegtle and Gavin Graves, and Abby Young and Luke Stallings.

All students are invited to a school lock-in to help decorate the school for homecoming from 7-11pm today, Friday, September 21. Spirit Week starts Tuesday, September 25, due to having no school on that Monday. These are the spirit days:

Tuesday: Salad Dressing Day

Seniors – Caesar Dressing (togas)

Juniors – Thousand Island Dressing (luau attire)

Sophomores – Ranch Dressing (western wear)

Freshmen – French Dressing (berets & stripe shirts)

Wednesday: USA

Come dressed in your patriotic gear

Thursday: Blast from the Past

The ‘50’s, ‘60’s, ‘70’s, ‘80’s, & ‘90’s make a comeback

Friday: Brown and Gold

Show your Windsor pride

Student Council members have been working hard on this year’s homecoming plans.

“We have a social and spirit committee on student council. The social committee plans the themes, decorations and dance and the spirit committee plants the parade, spirit days, and the assembly. For the spirit days they sit down and try to figure out how they can incorporate the theme into spirit days. So, salad dressing is each grade representing different countries,  USA because that is our country, blast from the past lets you dress from any part of the world from any part in history, and brown and gold because those are the school colors,” student council adviser JoAnn Marty said.

This year Windsor High School is introducing a new event during homecoming week and it is full of food and fun.

“We are doing a community chili dinner that is free on Wednesday, September 26, from 4-7pm.  We are hosting it along with the middle school and intermediate center student council. Come have chili and dessert, play carnival games, and enjoy Kona Ice,” Marty said.

On Thursday, September 27, the high school assembly will be filled with several fun activities for students and teachers.

“We will be doing ‘eating around the world.’ All four classes and some teachers will be eating foods that represent different parts of the world like sushi, chicken nuggets, pizza, and tacos,” Marty said.

The homecoming parade will take place at 1pm on Friday, September 28. This gives Windsor High School’s fall varsity sports, clubs, band, classes and homecoming court representatives an opportunity to demonstrate their school pride. The homecoming football game is also on Friday, when the Owls take on the Festus Tigers at 7pm. 

The dance will be on Saturday at 7pm, with the doors opening at 6:45pm. Students must have their ticket bought prior to the dance. The last day to purchase one is September 26. Drop off will be at the back side of the old gym and you can enter the dance through there.

This homecoming dance isn’t something you want to miss out on.

“Kids who have never been to homecoming, it’s a blast. No matter how old you get, you will always remember it. You only get four homecomings your entire life and you don’t want to miss out on them,” Marty said.