Traveling To The Windy City

The yearbook and newspaper staffs are heading to Chicago tomorrow.

The+yearbook+and+newspaper+staffs+went+to+Disney+World+in+2015.+

The yearbook and newspaper staffs went to Disney World in 2015.

Keri Voegtle, Staff Writer

Like to travel?

Maybe you should consider joining the newspaper or yearbook staff.

Over the past several years, the publication classes have traveled to Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Kansas City, Minneapolis, San Antonio, Orlando (more specifically–Disney World), and now Chicago.

On Thursday, 24 students from The Hoot and The Harbor will be traveling to Chicago to take part in the Journalism Education Association National Convention.

“It will be a great experience,” newspaper adviser Jeff Stoffey said. “Even if the students aren’t interested in a journalism career, the conference teaches students many skills that can be used in various jobs.”

Student journalism classes and advisers from around the country will meet in Chicago. Over 4,000 students are expected to attend.  This convention includes workshops, problem solving breakouts and leaders throughout the journalism field. This is the largest journalism convention in the country.

The students will also have time to explore the Windy City. The classes will explore the Navy Pier, Wrigley Field, Millennium Park, 360 Chicago and several other sites in Chicago.

On Saturday night, the group will get to see the home of Michael Jordan–The United Center. The Chicago Bulls will be playing against the Houston Rockets.  Senior Luke Stallings is very excited about watching the basketball game with his friends. It will be his first NBA game he has ever attended.

“I love basketball. I love the NBA. I love the Rockets. I can’t wait for them to dominate the Bulls” Stallings said.

Senior Bella Marco said, “If I had a favorite basketball team, it would definitely be the Bulls.”

While this is an educational trip, the students will also have time to bond. The group will traveling to Chicago on an Amtrak train.

Sophomore Elizabeth Spurgeon said, “I’ve never traveled on a train before.”

Students will also get to partake in the Chicago cuisine. Several students are ready to try the famous Chicago style pizza, deep dish.

Stallings said, “I am excited to eat Chicago style pizza. I am a big fan of deep dish.”

If you’re jealous of this group, consider joining the newspaper or yearbook staff. While this is a selective class, it wouldn’t hurt to apply this spring.  In 2020, the JEA national convention is back in Orlando at Disney World.

Marco said, “I’m excited that I get to go to Chicago, but I kind of want to flunk two more years so that I can go to Disney World.”