Fall Sports Preview: Football

The Owls begin their season tomorrow at St. Pius X.

Jade Allen, Staff Writer

Fall is on the horizon and it’s time for Friday night lights to begin. With the majority of starters returning for the Owls football team this season, optimism is high at Windsor. 

On Friday, Windsor hosted a jamboree and  performed well against DeSoto, Herculaneum and Grandview.

“People need to be ready for Windsor to be on the map here (by) the end of this football season,” head coach Alex DeMatteis said. 

The Owls return a number of key starters, including: Ethan West,  Austin Henry, Michael Wolcott, Noah Schaeffer, Justin Stenger, Chris Butts, Kalen Gmerek, Johnny Fasanello and Derek Williams. 

Not only do the Owls return several starters, but they’ve also picked up some new and/or returning faces this season. Senior Seif Elkhashab should play a key role this season on the offensive and defensive lines, while junior Andy McCrory adds to the team’s overall speed. Senior Tanner Perry, who also plays soccer, will take over the kicking duties this season. 

The team worked vigorously throughout the summer to get ready for the season. The team was able to bond while attending a  summer team camp in Springfield at Evangel University.

Junior Dante Reigle, who is playing his fifth of football at Windsor, said, “Brotherhood and bonding as a team (is fun).  We are close together and do everything together.”

One important key to the season will be the play of quarterback Derek Williams. The sophomore threw for 582 yards and rushed for 793 yards. He accounted for 15 touchdowns last season. 

“(Derek) went through a lot of growing pains…. (Now) he is very seasoned, playing like a veteran and we are ready to see what he will do,” DeMatteis said. 

The Owls will also be leaning on senior Gabe Larkin, who has drastically improved at the wide receiver and defensive back positions. 

DeMatteis said, “His work habits, ability with catching the ball, blocking, and doing all the right things as a receiver and defensive back.” 

Captain Ethan West will be the anchor of the offensive line and captain Kyle Stallings will play tight end/defensive back.

The Owls expect to improve on their 2-8 record from last season. The Owls begin their season at 7 pm tomorrow at St. Pius X. 

“We are trying to master our craft as far as doing what we did in the past to make sure it’s set for the future,” DeMatteis said.