Club Preview: Improv

Windsor students are ready for another year of Improv.

Leah Parsons, Staff Writer

What do people think of when they hear the word ‘Improv’? Perhaps a type of theatre, a way of performing or a group of kids all getting together to make up a story on the spot? 

Improv has more to it than most originally thought and Whitney Crabtree and her students want to inform Windsor students all about it.  

Improv, or Improvisation, is defined as ‘something that is improvised, especially a piece of music, drama, etc., created without preparation’. 

Essentially, it’s similar to theatre, minus the scripts. They tend to not have props, sets or costumes. It’s all about coming up with ideas on the spot and working together as a team. 

The Improv tryouts took place in early September.

Students were split into random groups and assigned three different words from the judges. They then had twenty minutes to come up with a short scene using those three words. 

Chaos and imagination are the best words to describe what was performed. Making sense is not always the idea in Improv. They want to shock the audience and keep them guessing. 

Crabtree is in charge of the group and oversaw the performances. She had a lot of good things to say about Improv. 

First of all, laughter is good in any situation I think. With everything that goes on in the world and the seriousness of it, I think it’s good for us to come together and laugh about stuff and maybe not take life as seriously all the time,” Crabtree said. 

Improv is a group that continues to have fun. 

“I decided to make it a place for people who didn’t really want to do a musical because they didn’t want to be on stage that much or memorize lines… And I felt like it was a good spot for people that really wanted to get on stage and entertain, but not be bound to strict line memorization,” Crabtree said. 

Macy Welch and Savannah Zwetow, two of the judges, also expressed their love for the club. 

When asked to define Improv in her own words, Zwetow said, “A place or a group (where) you can be completely weird and make no sense and nobody can judge you at all… It’s just accepted as it is.”

Welch said that Improv also helps students improve certain skills.

Welch said,“It definitely helps with communication skills and just being able to get up on stage and it kinda just teaches you, like, don’t care what other people think. Just do what you want to do.” 

Later this fall, Improv will host three shows.  They will take place at 7 pm from November 7-9. Tickets will be on sale the week of the performances and also at the door. 

Crabtree said, “This show is going to be one of our best yet! We hope to see you there!”