Homecoming Week Is Underway

Despite no homecoming dance or parade, Windsor is trying to make the homecoming week special.

Carmen Peterson, Staff Writer

With the homecoming football game coming up, everyone at school is preparing for a fun week. Homecoming court has been selected, social-distanced assemblies are being planned, students are thinking of ideas for spirit days and the Student Council is putting up their decorations in the halls to get the school enthusiasm as high as possible. It will no doubt be an exciting week for Windsor. 

Homecoming court nominees are picked by teachers that agree that certain students stand out to fit the role of highly responsible role models. Representing the freshmen are Maggie Bunton and Anthony Pona. For the sophomores, Carmen Peterson and Max Hartmann are paired together. Alayna Green and Andrew Tanner were elected for the class of 2022. Madeline Brothers, Anthony Johnson, Piper Montgomery, Dominic Pona, Lidiya Sokolic, Ryan Scott, Biz Spurgeon, and Austin Williams were picked for the seniors this year. Every representative has shown a positive attitude and kind actions towards others. 

The football team plays Hillsboro for the well-anticipated homecoming game. The boys will be coming off a 35-14 win at Portageville. The homecoming court will also be announced before the game. Even though students won’t be allowed to attend the game, they can still support our team and cheer them on. 

Even though school assemblies will look very different, they will still be full of safe, social distancing fun. The assemblies are being held at the football field on Tuesday, September 29, and Friday, October 2. Unfortunately, there will not be a dance or parade to celebrate homecoming week like in years past. This means that everyone will have to show extra passion during the spirit days to accommodate.

Spirit week will begin on Monday when students are supposed to dress like their favorite zoo animals. Tuesday is sports day. Wednesdays are a cleaning day and all virtual learning, so students are going to post a picture of their favorite St. Louis landmark. Old Western is the theme for Thursday. And Friday is school spirit day, so wear brown and gold attire. Students are encouraged to go all out, just as they normally would. 

For the past week, STUCO has been putting up decorations in the hallways and in the commons. This year’s theme is the spirit of St. Louis, so all of the posters represent everything unique about St. Louis. From Cardinals baseball and Blues hockey to Kimmswick’s mile high pies and Fitz’s root beer. The hallways are reflecting everything that is to love about the Gateway to the West. 

The class representatives and student volunteers are tasked with designing an arch. These arches are meant to reflect each class and how they portray the spirit of St. Louis as well. After the arches are finished, they will be placed around the school for everyone to admire. There will also be a vote on the best arch to motivate students with creative ideas. 

Despite COVID-19, Windsor can still make homecoming fun and give everyone a very memorable and special experience for the 2020-2021 school year. There will be some adjustments, friendly competitions, and hard work put into this year’s homecoming to make it not like any other.