Alvarado Excited For Opportunity

Michael Alvarado is a 2009 Windsor graduate.

Alvarado takes over the soccer team from Chris Krueger.

Makenna Lane, Editor-in-Chief

The Windsor soccer team began their season with a new head coach, Michael Alvarado. 

Alvarado isn’t new to Windsor. Alvarado graduated from Windsor in 2009 and has coached at the school for the past several years.  He  was excited when the district asked him to lead the boys’ soccer program. He played soccer at Harris Stowe State University from 2012-2014. While playing in college, he became a volunteer assistant coach at Windsor in 2013 and has been coaching ever since. 

Alvarado takes the place of Chris Krueger, who left Windsor for another career opportunity. As a new coach, Alvarado must implement his own style. 

Alvarado said, “My greatest challenge thus far has been implementing a new formation. It is different from what we have done in the past and the boys are adapting well to the new changes.” 

Another struggle the team has faced this season has been the heat. With the temperatures outside, the boys struggled to find time for a regular practice. 

“We were away from the field the entire last week of August which has definitely slowed down our progression, but I believe we will be able to overcome it,” senior Alex Julian said.

Alvarado also coaches in the spring for the JV girls soccer team. 

The Varsity boys have many underclassmen. This season the boys’ team has five full-time varsity sophomore players and four sophomore swing players. Seniors such as Julian must show leadership towards the younger players. 

Julian said, “The other seniors and I will have to step up with us being a relatively young team. This helps embrace a leadership role which I believe me and the other seniors are doing well at so far.”

This team has set high expectations for themselves and they are looking forward with positive attitudes. The Owls began the season with a 1-0 win over Fox, but have struggled recently. 

Alvarado wants to continue to compete at a high level and fight to be conference champions along with winning the district title. Alvarado appreciates the opportunity to lead the soccer team. 

“I am very proud to be an Owl,” Alvarado said.