Ahrens, Daughtery Lead Cross Country

Daughtery previously ran at Parkway North High School.

Bradley+Ahrens+and+Nick+Daughtery+both+medaled+at+the+Bismarck+Imitational.+

@windsorowlscc

Bradley Ahrens and Nick Daughtery both medaled at the Bismarck Imitational.

Nathan Bennett, Staff Writer

The Windsor cross country team has added a new runner this year–junior Nick Daughtery, who transferred from Parkway North High School. 

He is already making a big impact on the team in many different ways. 

“Nick has become the personality for the team.  He is one who is always willing to pick others up and to encourage them.  His addition to the team has changed the whole dynamic at practice,” head coach John Leech said. 

In the Owls most recent cross country meet at the Bismarck Invitational, Bradley Ahrens won the meet in a time of 16:20, and the second fastest time on the team was by Daughtery with a time of 19:11. 

The boys return four of their top five runners from last season: senior Bradley Ahrens, along with  juniors Hayden Barker, Noah Johnson, and Clayton Pallme. 

With the trust from Leech, Daughtery is coming in with a positive mindset.

“That’s just who I am. That’s what I try to do with everything in my life, I try to have a great mindset about everything that I am doing,” Daugherty said. 

It also seems like Daugherty’s energy is fueling the team a bit so far this year. 

“Nick brings a level of enthusiasm and natural leadership that has been lacking in the years past,” Leech said.

While Daughtery has helped with the vocal leadership, Ahrens continues to lead the team by example. After finishing 25th at state last year, Ahrens has won their past two meets. 

“Brad has put in an incredible amount of work this past summer and has already posted some impressive times, including a winning time of 16:34 at Arcadia Valley on September 11. The things Brad can do are just incredible, just the way he moves for his size and the hard work he puts in it is incredible to watch,” Leech said. 

Then, on the girl’s side, the Owls have two upperclassmen–senior Megan Terry and junior Olivia Plesons. 

“Megan Terry is pulling double duty as both a varsity cross country runner and as drum major for the Windsor Golden Brigade,” Leech said.

Terry has been praised for the dedication, hard work, and effort she puts in while at cross country and leading the Windsor Golden Brigade as a drum major.

After using her sophomore year as an improvement year, junior Olivia Plesons comes back, ready to push herself more than ever. Her coaches have full trust in her. 

“With the right amount of confidence, we expect her to be back on top again,” Leech said.