The Show Must Go On

After a year off from competition, the band is back to performing.

Olivia Limpert, Staff Writer

For those in the band, Saturday, September 18, 2021, was a special day. 

When the band competed in Farmington on that day, it was their first official competition in nearly two years. The Owls almost won the competition by finishing in second place, nearly beating out Union for first place. 

Since Windsor had missed the previous school year, it was exciting news to hear of the competition season. 

“I’m really excited about it for a lot of reasons,” band director Jacob Bubb said. “The kids, myself, and the rest of the band staff are really pumped about being able to go.”  

When asked if he was nervous Bubb said, “I’m not really nervous about like ‘Oh my gosh I don’t know if we’re gonna win’ or  ‘I don’t want that school to beat me’…I really just focus on ‘Are we prepared to have a good experience?” 

For the freshmen and sophomores, competitions are a completely new experience. 

“Well, I first feel nervous given this is like my first competition that I’m  like ever going to, but like I’m really excited obviously,” sophomore Eve Selby said. 

And some were excited for the underclassmen members.

“I’m very excited for the freshmen and sophomores who didn’t get to compete last year,” junior Alayna McCulley said. 

Expectations were another talked about topic–what were Windsor students expecting?

“Well, we’ve been practicing a whole lot and been getting good here lately. I expect us, honestly, to do pretty good,” Selby said.

The Owls are just happy to be competing once again. 

“We just go to try and be better than whatever we were the last time we did it,” Bubb said.