Tennis Looks Ahead To Future

Mia Steighorst advanced to sectionals this season.

Carmen Peterson, Editor

Only in her junior year, Mia Steighorst had 23 wins this season and a grand total of 40 throughout her career thus far. 

Steighorst started her freshman year and has grown significantly in three years, impressing coach Doc Carranza and her team. She has played varsity doubles in the one and two spots the past two years and has taken the team’s number one rank this season.

The Owls tennis team is coming off a 10-7 record this season. 

“This year was as good as I expected it to be. We won 10 matches and were able to beat Lutheran South for the first time,” Carranza said. 

He is very proud of his team and his eight seniors that have stayed for so long. Next year, his expectations are for varsity to compete for the district title and send more people to state. 

Steighorst just returned from playing at Cape Notre Dame in sectionals. She went up against Anelle Harris, a senior from Kennett High School, who has been to state all four years. 

“Going to sectionals was a great learning experience and going to state is my new goal for senior season,” Steighorst said. “I was able to hold my own against the girl pretty well.”

Her goals for next year are to win the annual Farmington tournament, get through to state, and beat Alyssa Weisner’s individual wins record, which stands at 51. 

Senior teammate Jade Allen noted how amazed she’s been with Steighorst’s career so far. 

“It’s been great seeing Mia take on the No. 1 spot as a junior with more confidence than last year and be more flexible with different doubles partners due to Carmen Peterson injuring herself,” Allen said.  

Junior Skyler Rosvall has occasionally played No. 1 doubles with Steighorst this season and continues to work hard on improving for her next senior season. Rosvall has quickly picked up on the technique and athleticism needed to play varsity tennis. 

Carranza is already preparing for next year. He thinks that Steighorst could qualify for the state tournament in either singles or doubles. She came one match away from going in singles this year but could qualify in doubles with any of the top players. 

“Last year, Mia was a little scared to follow Kenzie Sowa, the previous No. 1 player. But now she has realized how much she can accomplish and how strong she is,” Allen said.