Spring Sports Preview: Girls’ Soccer

The Owls finished one game away from the final four last season.

The+soccer+team+won+a+district+championship+last+season.+

The soccer team won a district championship last season.

Brayden Kreutz, Staff Writer

After winning a district championship and a sectional game last season, the Windsor girls’ soccer team finished last season one goal away from a trip to the state final four. The Owls are hopeful that they will improve on their 16-9 season from a year ago. 

Sophie Romano said, “I think we have a lot of potential to have a great season. We have a lot of talented girls that will fill in this season.” 

With the Owls graduating eight seniors, they have to replace the scoring of Jordan Kolinski, who led the Owls with 17 goals last season.  Sophomore Maddie Folmer scored 14 goals last season as well. 

Taylor Kolinski, who scored 10 goals last season, said, “Losing eight seniors was a big effect on the team but with the kickarounds and practices I believe that we will get used to working with the new players that fill their spots.”

Romano said, “We definitely have big shoes to fill, yes, but I think we are capable of doing it. I will also miss the seniors from last year a lot this year.”

Their head coach is pleased with how the team is practicing thus far. 

Head coach Mike Hutchison said, “I think the girls are doing very well and are definitely ahead of where they were at this point last year. Their preparation, effort, and fitness levels have been good.” 

With postseason success under their belt, the Owls are hoping to take the next step. 

Kolinski said, “The biggest goal for this season is to win the quarterfinal game and go to state.” 

Romano echoed that sentiment.

Romano said, “My biggest goal for this season is to make it past the quarterfinals this year and beat Notre Dame and Rosati Kain.” 

If the Owls can play stellar defense again this season, anything is possible. 

Hutchison said, “My biggest concern for this year is having enough quality defenders to play the man-to-man defense that has been successful for us in the past. In man-to-man you are one-on-one with the offensive player without much help. If we do that well, we can apply more resources to the offense, making us a very dangerous team,” 

The Owls will play in a jamboree against Fox and Eureka at 5pm Monday at home.