Let It Snow (Or Ice)

Windsor students and staff have enjoyed three snow days in the past week.

Olivia Limpert, Staff Writer

What’s better than a snow day?

Two more snow days. 

With an unusually mild winter thus far, Windsor students and staff were ready for some Mother Nature luck. 

Finally, Windsor had their first snow day on January 25. 

But that wasn’t the last of it. 

A cold front that included some unexpected mixed precipitation on Sunday night into Monday morning gave area schools, including Windsor, the day off on Monday, January 30  and eventually on Tuesday, January 31. 

With the retirement of superintendent Joel Holland and assistant superintendent Jeff Buscher, the snow days are now decided on by superintendent Jason King and assistant superintendent Mike Rickermann. 

King said, “The No. 1 factor to consider is the safety of our students, staff, and caregivers.  This includes taking bus transportation, student drivers, teachers, and parents who drop off students into consideration.  If weather conditions have or have the potential to make driving unsafe for stakeholders, it is best to cancel classes and wait for a better day to have school.” 

When taking these decisions into consideration, the school makes sure to communicate the decisions as soon as possible. 

“These decisions are communicated through local television and radio outlets, as well as through social media, the district website, and the parent notification system,” King said. 

Luckily for Windsor students and staff, the school calendar has six snow days built in. Therefore, the school doesn’t have to make up the three days missed so far and can afford to miss three more days due to inclement weather. 

While the icy conditions on Monday made the decision to cancel a no-brainer, the conditions on Tuesday were much trickier. However, some subdivisions and side roads still had ice on them on Tuesday morning.

King said, “Some days are easier than others when it comes to making a decision on inclement weather.  While the decisions made are questioned often, it is important to remember that each call is made with safety for all in mind.  That is our top priority.”