Golf is in Full Swing

The golf team has started the season 1-1.

Kenneth Jones, Staff Writer

The future looks promising for the Windsor Owl’s golf team. The Owls had nearly 30 golfers come out for the team this season.

Coach Wayne Montgomery said he expects the season to go well.

“We have a couple golfers that made it to sectionals last year. We were kind of middle of the pack in conference. We were pretty young and we have everyone back except for one or two kids that graduated. So, I think we can compete for a conference championship this year.”

The Owls expect several golfers to lead the way this season. Some of these athletes have very high expectations.

Junior Kyle Rudden said, “My only goal this season is to win state.”

Rudden is one Owl that Montgomery is counting on this season.

“Kyle Rudden is our No. 1 golfer. As a sophomore, he qualified for sectionals, which is a pretty good achievement. I think he has a good chance of going to state if he cleans up his short game. Then, Bryan Neff and Jacob Helderle fill that second and third spot and they’re pretty consistent. Neff’s short game is the best thing about him and Helderle has more of an all around type game. For all of them, though, it’s about keeping their mental wits about them when they’re on the golf course and playing a smart game, instead of trying to hit the ball the farthest.”

The Owls began the season in a tri-match against Ste. Genevieve and St. Pius X. The Owls lost to Ste. Genevieve, but beat the Lancers. The Owls will also compete today at Perryville.