Longtime Teacher Saying Goodbye

Teacher Doc Carranza is retiring after 24 years at Windsor.

Doc Carranza, pictured above in the 1994 Windsor yearbook, is retiring from Windsor this spring.

Brogan Eyre, Staff Writer

The beginning of each new school year brings an abundance of changes, and at the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, a constant Windsor figure will be gone. At the beginning of the next school year, iconic coach and social studies teacher, Doc Carranza, will be relaxing at home. 

“It has been a good run. It has been 24 years here, 27 years teaching all together. I figure it’s time for me to go; I’ll miss it. Some things I will miss, some things I won’t. I’ll miss the kids the most. Just being here, around people, just joking around with everybody,” Carranza said.

Despite retiring, Carranza does not plan to forget about Windsor all together. Carranza will still coach throughout his retirement as well as partake in a mandated honey-do-list.

“I will still coach tennis, boys and girls. I plan to finish the projects that my wife says I have to do at home. I have to finish a basement that I’ve been working on for 13 years,” Carranza said.

Prior to teaching at Windsor, Carranza taught at Grandview for three years.

With the pending arrival of the 2017-2018 school year, many changes are on the horizon, yet the departure of Carranza will be one of the hardest to swallow. Few teachers have been able to match the nearly two and a half decades Carranza roamed the halls, but Athletic Director Kevin Stoffey was there to witness it all.

“Doc has been here for over 24  years, and I’ve coached with him a lot. He’s coached many different sports and many different teams. Most recently, people just realized him as a tennis coach in the fall and the spring, but he has coached basketball and football. He’s coached a lot of different things, and he’s been involved with a lot of different things like student council. He’s one of those guys that’s been involved with many different activities at school. You name it, he’s been involved in it,” Stoffey said.

And with Carranza’s final days at Windsor quickly approaching, student council co-sponsor, English teacher JoAnn Marty expresses her unhappiness to transition into a new year without her good friend and partner-in-crime.

“Doc, even though he’s leaving the building physically, he will always be here in spirit. He has left an indelible mark in the school culture here. What assembly will ever be the same without his corny jokes? I’ll miss just seeing his excitement on the basketball court and in the classroom. And to Doc: I will never move your tables again,” Marty said.