Girls basketball season set to tip-off

The Owls return several key seniors this season.

Calli+Robertson+leads+the+Owls+in+scoring+this+season.+

Trent Deevers

Calli Robertson leads the Owls in scoring this season.

Kenneth Jones, Staff Writer

Coach Kim Schmidt and the Windsor varsity girls basketball team are preparing to embark on another winter season. The Owls are coming off of an 11-14 season last year.  The Owls begin their 2016-17 season today at 7 pm at home against Herculaneum High School.

Coach Schmidt is convinced that her seniors will lead in more ways than one.

Schmidt said, “We’re returning Calli Robertson and Shaina Kmetz as starters. Those, along with Abby Holloway, I think they are going to lead the team this year on the court as players with scoring and defense but also leading and helping the underclassmen that don’t have much varsity experience.”  

All three of these girls have their own unique ways and views on how they plan to carry out this leadership.

Robertson said, “I plan on leading the team by encouraging others and keeping our attitude as a team positive.” 

Holloway sometimes has to keep the younger players in line.

She said, “Sometimes I yell a lot to get the underclassmen to stay focused.”

It seems in the past that Kmetz has already led the team, especially in terms of defense.

Schmidt said, “A lot of times last year we would match her up against the other team’s best player. She’s willing to get after it; she spends a lot of time on the floor during the game and she’ll do whatever you ask. So, she’s definitely someone we can rely on defensively.”

Calli Robertson and Abby Holloway have high hopes for the upcoming season.

Robertson said, “My goal this season is to make better decisions during the game and not get so frustrated and to win as many games as possible.”

Holloway said, “My goal is for us to win more games than we did last year.” 

In the next few weeks, the underclassmen are going to have to prove who deserves more or less playing time.

Coach Schmidt said, “It’s wide open in terms of who is going to step up, so we’ll see in these next couple games who is going to be successful for us.”