Boy’s Basketball Preview

The Owls are coming off a 17-10 season from a year ago.

Calli Robertson, Staff Writer

The Windsor boy’s basketball team has high expectations for the 2016-17 season.

After finishing last season with a record of 17-10, the Owls have a winning mentality. Unfortunately, the Owls began their season with losses to Hancock and DuBourg in the Southside Classic. The Owls were able to rebound by pummeling Bayless 86-37.

Head coach Todd Dutton expects this season to be like any other season he has coached.

“I want the boys to work hard and come together as a team and play together and continue to improve throughout the season. If we work hard and play together and learn the game of basketball, I think we will have a good season and have fun doing it,” Dutton said.

Dutton is pleased with his current roster.

“As far as our personnel on the team, I think we have really good character guys. Surprisingly, this year we had two new seniors come out. So, we have five seniors and having that is good for leadership and even though the two that came out don’t have the experience that the other guys do, they are good basketball players. We have enough players back from last year’s team that got to experience our success. In addition to that, we have a good group of young players. We have Bruce(England) back from last year who did good for us being a sophomore and Connor (Hartmann) who is also back and also the Worley brothers, who are only freshman. I think we are in a good position with a good mix on the team. I think we’ll have a solid team and will have success in the future.”

Starting point guard Sam Haight is the highest returning scorer. Haight averaged 8.4 points and 4.3 assists per games last season. Haight has some very lofty goals for this season.

Haight said, “My goals for the season is to score 20 plus points each game and average 10 plus assists and my goals for the whole team is to work hard together and win 20 or more games. Being a senior gives me the role of being a leader and keep the whole team working hard and having a positive vibe on and off the court.”

England averaged 5.8 points and 3.1 assists per game last season.

England said, “Being a two year starter is a pretty cool experience. Having a nice crowd at the game is pretty cool, too. My goals for this season is to average at least 15 points a game and just help the team win more games than we did last year and my goals for the whole team is to win districts.”

The Owls play their next game at 7:30 pm on Tuesday, December 6, against Park Hills Central at Hillsboro.