New Owl in the Nest

Windsor hires a new head football coach.

Brandon Fouts, Staff Writer

Times are changing for Windsor High School’s football program. When kicking off the 2017 football season, the team will have a new head coach, Alex Dematteis.

Replacing 7 year head coach Greg Westermayer, Dematteis will be taking over as the Windsor head football coach. Dematteis previously coached at Grandview High School and St. Mary’s High School.

In the classroom, Dematteis will be replacing longtime Windsor teacher Doc Carranza in the high school history department.  

Windsor’s football team has struggled over the past few seasons. That is not discouraging for Dematteis, though, as he is thrilled to be at Windsor to help get the program back on track.

“It’s hard put into words how excited my family and I are for this opportunity. I couldn’t be more excited about all of the potential and possibilities I have discovered. Everyone I have met and talked to is ready to go. I cannot wait to be on campus and get ready to work towards a great 2017 football season,” Dematteis said.

This isn’t Dematteis’ first rodeo, though. While his Grandview team struggled to an 0-8 finish last season, he also spent 15 years at St. Mary’s prior to his one-year stint at Grandview. In his 15 years at St. Mary’s, he spent time as an assistant coach, both offensive and defensive coordinator and was the head coach for three years. He has coached every position at St. Mary’s and helped contribute to St. Mary’s first playoff victory in over 80 years, as well as a Class 4A state semifinal appearance.

That sounds promising. After all, Windsor has never had much postseason success. In Windsor’s history, the Owls have only advanced to week 11 four times

Dematteis is already looking to make adjustments within the Windsor program.

Character will be at the center of everything we do and ensuring each student-athlete’s growth in all aspects of their lives will be a constant.  We will have a culture of work, learn to focus on only what we have power and control over and doing everything together. In the first year, I find it important to immerse in the culture and lay a foundation for the football program going forward,” Dematteis said.

With a plan of attack already set in place, Dematteis is ready to put the football team to work in the remaining offseason.

“We will have lots of opportunity this summer to put into action the heart of the program philosophy in a variety of ways. This will happen in a variety of ways: strength & conditioning, camps, 7 on 7, competition drills and a variety of team activities,” Dematteis said.

The 2017 football season will be something to look forward to at Windsor. With new changes and a lot of energy going into the season, Windsor football is looking to improve.

“We are going to have a blast preparing for the 2017 season and competing against ourselves, each other, but mostly our opponents,” Dematteis said.