Soccer Looks To Soar

The Owls return most of its starters after finishing 12-8-1 last spring.

Drew Kinder, Staff Writer

The girl’s soccer team is ready to make a statement this spring.

Last spring, the girl’s soccer team finished 12-8-1.  The team has many of its leading scorers returning, including:  Lauryn Kunz, Calli Robertson, Maddie Stringer and Katelin Voegtle. Also, Junior Gabby Preis will be back after missing the season due to an ACL tear.

Windsor lost only one senior to graduation and they have 11 seniors this year. Juniors Megan Tandy, Gabby Preis, Bailey Wilson and Maggie Zysk got some varsity experience as sophomores. Sophomores Keri Voegtle, Sam Sabatino and Maddie Lynch all got some varsity experience as freshmen last year. The team has a lot of experience and are young enough to do some damage this year.

“My expectations for the year are to have fun for my last year, and to work hard. I want to also work together well and win games,” senior Calli Robertson said.

Senior Kylie Gmerek has been the starting goalie since her sophomore year. Gmerek has a lot of experience and put up eight shutouts last year. The team has many experienced scorers and a veteran player in between the pipes. Windsor should have an exciting year.

“I think we have very high expectations for ourselves. We should challenge for the conference title for the second year in a row. We have a great opportunity to win districts and take it on to sectionals. We need to continue to challenge ourselves to get better every day,” coach Mike Hutchison said.