Volleyball Ready For Districts

The volleyball team is trying to finish the season with a district title.

Ally+Moore+goes+up++to+spike+the+ball+against+Lutheran+South+on+Thursday%2C+September+28.+

Ally Moore goes up to spike the ball against Lutheran South on Thursday, September 28.

Connor Hartmann, Staff Writer

The Windsor volleyball team is starting to hit its stride.

After starting the season 3-9-2, the Owls are approaching the .500 mark. The Owls regularly play a tough regular season schedule, which usually prepares the team for the postseason. Despite some struggles this season, the team is optimistic for the district tournament, which begins today at 5 pm at Park Hills.   

“I want us to compete to the best of our ability and put a full season’s work together,” head coach Stephany Dueker said. “I think we can honestly challenge for the district title.”

The Owls first task in districts will be a matchup with Central (Park Hills). A win against the Rebels would put the Owls back to .500. The Owls made quick work of the Park Hills team earlier in the season, which they won in two sets (25-10, 25-19). The winner advances to the district semifinals against Ste. Genevieve, the No. 1 seed that knocked off the Owls in the 2016 district tournament final. Ste. Genevieve also beat the Owls in two sets earlier this season (25-20, 25-23).

Even though the Owls lost to Ste. Genevieve earlier this season, the team  feels as if it has improved significantly since that game.

“We’ve definitely grown a lot together as a team,” junior McKenna Brown said.

Several players have stood out for the Owls, including sophomores Taylor Duncan and Alli Moore. Duncan stands among the assist average leaders with 7.53 per game, and Moore’s 94% serve receive percentage is also one of the best in the area.

As far as preparation for the district tournament, the girls are doing all they can to turn the tables at Park Hills.

“We want to have really strong practices going into the tournament, make sure we stay focused, and hopefully it will lead to winning a couple more games,” sophomore Taylor Duncan said.