Saving Lives

The Fall 2017 Windsor blood drive will take place on Thursday, November 2.

Abby Comia, Staff Writer

Did you know every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood? Approximately 36,000 units of blood  are needed every day in the U.S. Luckily, there are more than 58,000 blood drives per year. Windsor High School has two blood drives each year–one in the fall and one in the spring. The fall blood drive will be on November 2 from 7:30am-1:30 pm in the high school “old” gym.

This year, cheer coach Hillary Jennings will help run the blood drive.

Jennings said, “I think it is important to get all the kids in the school involved. It is important to donate blood because for one car accident you could use four to one hundred pints of blood, which is about all of what we get in just one day here.”

The American Red Cross also gives incentives to schools that have blood drives. They give away scholarships based on the number of blood donations.

To donate blood, a person must be at least 16 years old, and if a donor is under 18, he/she needs a signature from his/her guardian. To donate, you  must also weigh at least 110 pounds. Eating a nutritious breakfast and/or lunch is encouraged before donating.

You can sign up by emailing [email protected] or by visiting the American Red Cross website (http://www.redcrossblood.org/rcbmobile/drive/chooseDonationTime.jsp)