Boys Basketball Preview: Schmidt Looks To Lead Owls

Senior Michael Schmidt is the Owls leading returning scorer this season.

Ryan Daly, Staff Writer

In basketball, the tallest player usually plays inside as a post player. However, at Windsor, the tallest player is showing off his skills as a guard.

Senior Mike Schmidt, who stands 6-feet-6 inches tall, is going to see some time as a point guard this season.

Schmidt said, “It’s going to be fun. While being point guard, I get to pass a lot and I don’t have to be stuck in the paint.”  

Schmidt is the only returning starter for a team that went 8-17 a year ago. Schmidt, also called “Big Mike” by his teammates, averaged 8.8 points 8.5 rebounds and 4.19 blocks last years as the starting center. This year, Schmidt has to take charge and control the tempo of the game.

Schmidt said, “It’s going to be fun. I get to lead the team and play with all the younger players.”

Head coach Todd Dutton is ready to see what his new guard can do this season.

Dutton said, “Michael has made the change to the perimeter better than I ever imagined and faster. He is our best player, he has a great attitude and he works hard to improve his game. He will be fun to watch.

The Owls have a very young team this season–the team consists of one senior, three juniors, five sophomores, and one freshman. The Owls expect contributions from Ethan Worley, Evan Worley, Matt Martin, Sonny Amabile, Connor Hartmann, Aaron Harrison, Pierce Hartmann, Justin Van Etten, Norman Alford and Jacobi Hatchell.

The boys open their season today in the Southside Classic at 3:30 pm against Hancock. The first round game will be played at Affton High School.

Dutton said, “My intentions are to help each player improve as much as possible and develop a team that plays tough defense, is very physical inside and plays like a team on offense.”