Grappling With High Expectations

The Owls return three state qualifiers this season.

Senior+Jake+Warren+is+looking+to+defend+his+state+title+.+

Paula Warren

Senior Jake Warren is looking to defend his state title .

Jake Vaughn, Staff Writer

Expectations couldn’t be much higher.

After getting the program’s first state champion last season, the Windsor wrestling team is hoping to improve on its overall state finish. The Owls finished in tenth place in the Class 3 championship last season.

With defending state champion Jacob Warren and third place finisher Ryan Yarnell returning, there is a reason for the Owls’ optimism.

Head coach Kevin Stoffey said, “We are expecting a big year.  We should improve in all phases–duals, tournaments and state finish.”

Jacob Warren is hopeful for another state championship season. However, he knows as a defending state champion, he will have a target on his back in every match.

Warren said, “I’m hoping to win state and be undefeated along side with my friend Ryan (Yarnell).  If we don’t win conference and districts, I’m going to be super mad.”

Windsor came within one match from having two state champions last season. While battling the flu during the state semifinal match, Yarnell nearly beat an undefeated wrestler from Webb City. However, he ended up losing the match 6-3. Yarnell was able to battle back and take home a third place medal.

The team’s talent doesn’t end with Warren and Yarnell. Grant Pauli was a state qualifier and won a match at the state meet last season. Drew Kinder is hoping to make it back to the state meet after making it as a sophomore. Senior Connor Richey and several others also have a chance at making some noise at the end of the season.

Stoffey said, “We are anticipating improved success from our other returning varsity wrestlers–Andrew Kinder, Connor Meynell, Zach Wright, Brandon Ruegge, Connor Richey, Grant Pauli, Dustin Svoboda and Grant Hogan.”

The Owls begin their season at 6pm today at St. Louis University High School.