Windsor Student Shines

Senior Hannah Baker recently received the KPLR-11 Star Student of the Month Award.

Brogan Eyre, Staff Editor

Walking down the halls of Windsor, everywhere you look, you can see an extraordinary kid doing amazing things–participating in math club, studying for tomorrow’s chemistry test or decorating the cafeteria with posters for next week’s spirit days. Windsor is filled to the brim with exceptional students participating in an abundance of extracurricular activities, making Windsor a great school to obtain a high school diploma.

Last week, senior Hannah Baker received the KPLR-11 Star Student of the Month award. The award is for student athletes who represent excellent sportsmanship and high-achieving academics. Reporter Rich Gould came to Windsor on Wednesday to interview Baker and cheer coach Hillary Jennings.  In addition to being featured on the Sunday evening news broadcast, Baker was awarded with a honorary trophy and a gift bag from the television station.The contest is also recognized through the University of Missouri – St. Louis, where Baker plans to attend this fall.

As many will know, Baker has been on the varsity cheer team for three years, and was a captain during football season. Excluding her contributions on the field, Baker is involved in many extracurricular activities such as National Honors Society and Student Council.

“I think Hannah’s positivity towards doing new things is always a really good thing to have on the team. She is a great role model for the younger girls, a hundred percent. She’s always going to be the supportive one, the most positive and the best role model of the whole team. She will be really incredibly missed when she graduates because I worked with her since she was a freshman, so it will be really hard without her. I’m sure there will be someone coming up that will be just like her, and I’ll remember her more,” varsity cheerleading coach Hilary Jennings said.

Baker’s sister, Emily Baker, who entered her in the contest, also goes to UMSL, and it was a large deciding factor that she continue on the legacy.  

“I didn’t really expect to win because I figured so many people were entered in to it as well.  Overall, I’m really glad I won though. With all the hard work that I’ve put in to keeping my grades above a B, it was really nice to be recognized for something since I’m not much of an outgoing person. I decided to go to UMSL because of how close it is to home, and they have  nice nursing program. The tuition also played a big role since it is on the lower end, and I get a decent amount of scholarships,” Baker said.