Striving For State

Senior Drew Kinder expects to make it back to the state meet.

Jake Vaughn, Staff Writer

Senior Drew Kinder started wrestling during his sophomore year, and it quickly became one of his passions.  During his first year, he made it to state, but he did not place.  In his second year, Kinder failed to advance to state.  The disappointment made him even more determined.

With this his last chance to advance to state, he is not planning on a disappointing finish.

“If my mind is right, and I’m an offensive wrestler, then there is no question if I’ll get to go to state. State will be tough, but I think I could win some matches.  The important thing is being aggressive and leaving it all out on the mat,” Kinder said.

This season, Kinder’s record is 35-11.  Kinder has shown dedication, and he has worked hard to be in the position he is in. He has done extremely well considering he has only had three years of experience.  

“My favorite part about wrestling is the competition. If you lose, there is no one to blame but yourself,” Kinder said.

Head coach Kevin Stoffey has faith in Kinder’s ability.

“He has progressed rapidly during his three year run.  His weight class at districts is going to be tough with several wrestlers who are very close.  He has split with his main competitors that he will see at districts. Hopefully he will step it up and get through,” said Stoffey.

The team will compete in the Class 3 District 1 tournament this Friday and Saturday at Farmington. The top four wrestlers in each weight division advance to the state meet in Columbia, MO, February 15-17.