Blood Drive Success

Windsor students continue to saves by donating blood.

Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the United States, but only 37 percent of the nation is eligible to donate blood. The American Red Cross organizes blood drives across the United States annually, and Windsor High School has gotten the opportunity to have it hosted here twice a year; once in the fall and once in the spring. This Windsor High School spring blood drive took place on Thursday.

On Thursday, the FCCLA joined the American Red Cross team to help students get to a designated area and remain safe during and after their donation. While giving blood, students went through a four step process: registration, medical history and mini physical, donation, and refreshments. The average adult has ten pints of blood in their body, and roughly one pint is given during a donation. Nevertheless, students tend to get light headed after giving blood.

Cijae Snodgrass said, “After I gave blood I felt very woozy and tired, but I don’t regret it.”

Every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood. Hospitals mostly request type O blood because they are universal donors. This means that their red blood cells can be transfused to people of all blood groups. Only 7 percent of the people in the US have an O negative blood type.

Trent Deevers said, “I gave blood  because there’s always a need for blood and I have O positive blood, so I can give to anybody that has a positive blood type.”

The number of blood donors in the U.S per year is 6.8 million. Windsor High School had 64 people give blood on March 15. All donated blood is tested prior to being donated to hospitals. The American Red Cross supplies 40 percent of the nations blood supply; a single donation can potentially help more than one person.

Rayna Reigle said, “I know that my blood is going to a good cause, so that why I donated. It feels good to be able to help people in need, or even save a life one day.”