Four Years Wiser

Several seniors shared their advice to the underclassmen.

Hannah Hooss, Staff Writer

As summer approaches, senioritis seems to be kicking in, and not just for the seniors. Most can agree that they are more than ready to spend their days in the sun and their nights with friends. It has definitely been a long year, but before some of the seniors go, they have some things to share with the underclassmen.

Devin Harvey, graduating in the 2018 class, got straight to the point.

Harvey said, “Don’t take anything for granted, don’t waste your time in general.”

Harvey is a known socialite in Windsor High School. He was a part of the soccer team and Improv.

Many students encourage getting involved as much as possible, creating bonds with teachers, and joining clubs. There are many programs offered through Windsor for each individual’s personal interest. Other students prefer alone time.

Senior Gabe Welch’s said,  “Make any excuse you can to go to the library.”

Kristen Berthelot spent all four years of high school a Windsor cheerleader.

“I like the bonds I have created. I gained one of my best friends from cheer. I know everyone tells you this, but just really get involved because it can make a world of a difference. Even if you’re not enjoying what you’re doing, you create so many new relationships. It is a great way to meet more people and enjoy the high school experience.”

Teachers, counselors and administration are always willing to help.

“High school is all about using your resources, and one thing I’ve learned throughout my four years is never be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they’re dumb. Don’t be afraid to stay after class and ask your teachers for help. Never be afraid to stay after school during student hours. Don’t be afraid to get involved in new things,” senior Kaity Hermsmeyer, who participated in WHS tennis and Concert Choir throughout high school, said.

Some students don’t focus on the sports or the clubs.

Senior Trent Deevers said, “I regret some of the things I did in high school, but honestly I wouldn’t change any of those mistakes because they made me who I am. Some general advice for high schoolers is to not fear your mistakes, as long as they’re not too stupidly major. Mistakes make us who we are.”

Senior Reese Lebbing discussed one of her favorite programs that she participated in the last four years. 

“CERT helped me get super involved and gave me the ability to grow, especially my leadership skills. Being put in the spotlight makes you have to act like an adult in emergency situations and that is very important to have as we are becoming young adults.”

When asked what she would change going back to her freshman year, Lebbing expressed her want to be a part of the Windsor Student Council, “STUCO allows you to get super involved with lots of teachers. They make the high school experience more meaningful.”

Every individual has a different high school experience, some have the time of their lives, while others may find darker days. There are so many different routes to take within those four years, but the people who have done it know best. The easiest and most beneficial way is to get involved in whatever you can.