A New Home

While the Owls have a new practice field, they are hoping for similar results to last season’s district championship team.

The+Owls+have+a+new+practice+field+at+the+Freer+campus.+

Courtesy of Chris Krueger

The Owls have a new practice field at the Freer campus.

Keri Voegtle, Staff Writer

The Windsor boys soccer team brought home a district title last season. To add to their good fortune, the team also received a brand  new turf practice field over the summer. The field is located at the Freer campus and is a result of the 2017 bond issue.

“The new field has been great. It is a good space that both teams are able to get quality practices in at. Having the field allows us to get going after school and still get home at a decent time on non-game nights,” head coach Chris Krueger said.

Practice space at Windsor has always been limited, and with the construction taking place, it is even worse. In years past, soccer had to share the fields with the football team and the marching band. This year, things changed.

Senior Anton Sokolic said, “The new practice field is really nice, and a lot of fun. It’s really cool to be on there.”

The 2018 soccer team has a few goals that they would like to accomplish–one of them is returning to the district championship.

“Our goal is always to make it to the district championship,” Krueger said. “That is something that we continue to talk about every week.  No class has ever won two district titles at Windsor in soccer, so the seniors and a few juniors who were on the team as sophomores last year, have made that a goal. They want to win another one and get past sectionals this year. If we can achieve that, then anything can happen from there.” 

Krueger also has high hopes for the returning JV players this season.

“I think this team could be very special. They have a strong core that made it to sectionals last year, so they have some experience and a toughness to be even better. The guys that played on the JV last year are going to add some good depth for us throughout the season. As long as we continue to stay focused every day, then we could have a magical season,” Krueger said.

Sokolic is one of the team captains. 

“I’m looking forward to finishing up my high school career with the boys I grew up with,” Sokolic said.

The boys team begins its season at 6pm  tonight at home against Perryville. The Owls are hosting a home varsity tournament all week. 

Last year, the boys won districts against Hillsboro. Sokolic believes they can take home the title again this year, as the boys soccer team remains in the same district and it will be held at Hillsboro again.

“We most definitely can defend the title. We’re very confident with the people we have this year,” Sokolic said.