Funston Era Begins With A Win

The Windsor football team is 1-0 on the season.

Jeff+Funston%2C+a+1994+Herculaneum+graduate%2C+beat+the+Blackcats+in+his+head+coaching+debut.+

Jeff Funston, a 1994 Herculaneum graduate, beat the Blackcats in his head coaching debut.

Nathan Bennett, Staff Writer

Windsor High School’s football team has a new head coach at the helm.

Jeff Funston, a longtime assistant coach at Windsor, is taking over for coach Alex DeMatteis who left his football position to become an assistant principal at the high school. 

Throughout his tenure at Windsor, Funston has been an assistant coach in a variety of sports, including: football, basketball, baseball and track. He now only coaches football and track. 

In Funston’s head coaching debut on Friday night, the Owls took down his alma mater of Herculaneum 15-12. 

“It was good to get that first win out of the way early to give us some confidence moving forward,” said senior wide receiver and defensive back Conner Begeman.  

Begeman scored the Owls first touchdown and helped seal the game with a late interception. 

Throughout much of the contest, it was a defensive battle. The Owls led 7-0 at halftime. 

“Our defense has been flying all over the field. Eleven players to the ball at all times,” Funston said. “The team, and specifically the defense, has responded really well to me and the whole coaching staff.” .

Playing fast and playing physical seems to be the biggest things that Funston has preached throughout his short time as head coach. 

“I was impressed by how many players were able to get to the ball carrier each and every down,” Funston said. “Individually, Gage Ronzio had a great night at outside linebacker.” 

Ronzio led the defense with seven tackles and three assists. 

But it wasn’t just the defense that Funston was impressed with during the opening game against the Blackcats. 

“I thought Jordan Foster ran really well in week 1,” Funston said. “He’s a guy that runs fast and angry and that’s a dangerous combination to have.”

Foster, a junior at running back, ran really well in week 1 averaging nearly 10 yards per carry on his 8 carries. He also scored a touchdown for the Owls. 

“That’s what we expect from Jordan every single game. He’s got the talent to do it,”  Begeman said. 

The Owls next play at 7pm on Friday at Perryville. The Owls hope to avenge a 38-18 loss from last season. If the Owls stick together, they should have a successful season. 

Funston said,  “We just have a team that has bought into playing fast and being there for each other.”