Walking For A Change

Windsor students participated in the national walkout to honor the 17 victims from Parkland, Florida.

Brogan Eyre, Staff Editor

On February 14, 2018, the lives of 17 students and staff were lost in a school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

One month later, students across the country staged a national walkout to honor the 17 victims.

Several Windsor students walked out of class at 10 am today to honor the victims in the gymnasium. Students read short biographies of the victims and had a 17 second moment of silence.

“I participated in this walkout because this is something that is important to me. It’s not just about the 17 lives lost; it’s about the lives that were affected by the killings. Many people care about the issue of school shootings and gun control, and I want to be a part of the change to stop this unnecessary violence in schools. The main goal is to achieve change. I want everyone to be able to go to school safely and not have to worry about what’s going to happen, if they are going to be the next victims. Last year we had an issue with threats, and this kind of struck the students hard. It could have been us; it could have been Seckman or Fox. It’s the fear of the unknown that gets you to pursue change,” senior Megan Boyd said.

The issue of gun control is largely polarized, yet because of the attention brought to the recent Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, walkouts have been a popular medium through which high school students have garnered the attention of state legislators.

“I hope the walkout helps to educate others and bring people together. I hope it gives those who are silent a voice. It shows that we can all raise our voices and make a difference. Students are polarized on certain issues, but we can all come together as one, as a school, and as young people,” said senior Reese Lebbing.

Senior Camryn Clark organized the walkout at Windsor High School.

“I organized this walkout because this issue is something I feel strongly about. Personally, I want to be a teacher, so I would like to see change in schools and universities because I’m going to be attending them for who knows how long in the future,” Clark said.

Clark spoke to several students and the administration while organizing the event.

“I went about organizing this through some of the clubs that I participate in. I talked to the students and the teachers, and I got their ideas on what the best way to go about this matter. I then went to the administration with an estimate of how many people I thought would attend, and it has been the best option for the demonstration,” Clark said.  “I appreciate how well the administration took my idea. They wanted me to do it my way, and they wanted me to share my ideas and use my insight. I am thankful of how respectful the students were, and there has been little instances of hate. As you can see, the turnout today was amazing. I think a walkout is important because it shows that people care, that even though we aren’t directly affected, we can sympathize with the victims and their families.”

In preparation of the walkout, principal Jason Naucke sent out an email to all Windsor High School students and parents alerting them that students that chose to partake in the walkout would face no penalty for their efforts of  “‘changing the world.”

The participants were pleased with how the event played out.

Lebbing said, “I believe that the school handled the students’ concerns very well, and the walkout gave students the chance to vocalize their opinions and beliefs no matter what side of the issue they are on. I think that’s very important because we are all young adults coming into our own opinions while learning how to express ourselves. It’s great to have been given that opportunity. Personally, I participated because I believe, that no matter what your opinions are, a school shooting or any tragedy of this magnitude should bring people together; we can all agree that these lives shouldn’t have been lost. As young people, we can make a significant change in the world. It starts with us.”