The Hoot

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Windsor will team up with several area schools to put on a play

Trent+Deevers%2C+playing+William+Shakespeare%2C+and+Harrison+Stoudt+receive+a+refill+during+the+performance.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Trent Deevers, playing William Shakespeare, and Harrison Stoudt receive a refill during the performance.

Abby Young

Abby Young

Abby Young

Hannah Hooss, Staff Writer

Windsor High School will be performing a classic play, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, on April 14 and 16 at Jefferson College. Although, this particular performance has a twist. None of the characters are played by the same actor twice.

Thanks to Windsor High School English teacher Elaine Geimer, Windsor is able to partner with four other schools, as well as Jefferson College, to permit the play to happen. After losing a program that the school was partnered with for many years, the teacher reached out to the college to make everything possible. As well as the different high school students acting, the college students attending JeffCo’s theatrical classes are able to offer a hand with costumes and building sets.

Since the play is broken up into five different acts and there are five different schools in this year’s production of the play, each character has their own, very distinct costume. Each act is performed with actors from a different school.

Intended to be a comedy, the play still holds many deeper meanings and themes. It portrays love, magic, and the importance of dreams. Much of the story is an entangled plot of many characters, most of which are struggling in their own way. Shakespeare also added a play within the play itself, just to make things more interesting.

“I love the idea of a play within a play. I love that as a cast we make it our own,” senior Lauren Wagner said.

Windsor’s part in the play is the final act–Act V.  Students such as Trent Deevers, Shelby Morgan, Brogan Eyre, Aaron Harrison, Maddie Bennett, and more will be participating in the play. The story, at this point, has had many very odd happenings. Characters discuss the events and some are in disbelief, they end the night in a dance, and the scene is ended as the actors are dismissed to bed.

“The practices are going very well, I am very excited to see how everything goes with the other schools, especially because we only have a small part,” senior Trent Deevers said, who plays the character Thysbe.