Talking Her Way To State

Sophomore Terra Spradling qualified for the state speech meet in Springfield this Saturday.

%28From+top+left%29+Austin+Williams%2C+Mark+Grogan%2C+Sean+Weinland%2C+Alexis+Russell%2C+Whitney+Crabtree+%28From+bottom+left%29+Matt+Marlow%2C+Terra+Spradling%2C+and+Emily+Livers+are+all+on+the+speech+team.+Spradling+qualified+for+the+state+meet+that+will+take+place+this+Saturday.+

Courtesy of Whitney Crabtree

(From top left) Austin Williams, Mark Grogan, Sean Weinland, Alexis Russell, Whitney Crabtree (From bottom left) Matt Marlow, Terra Spradling, and Emily Livers are all on the speech team. Spradling qualified for the state meet that will take place this Saturday.

Kayla Moore, Staff Writer

The speech team allows students to show off their public speaking and oral interpretation skills by competing against different schools in various events, such as acting and debate. To reward students for their determination and hard work, students can qualify for state. 

The Windsor speech team is coached by teachers Michelle Dalaviras and Whitney Crabtree . The club members include:  Austin Williams, Mark Grogan, Sean Weinland, Emily Livers, Alexis Russell, Kyley Garner, Terra Spradling, Matt Marlow, Jane Manson, Ana Garavaglia, Emma Davis, Angel Bippen, Maddie Bennett, Liz Livers, Brogan Eyre, Jessika Bandermann and Sophie Roorda.

The best students from each school compete at districts and are judged. Depending on the number of entries, 2-3 students from each category qualify for the state meet. Then, they go to Springfield at Missouri State and compete in two rounds to see if they get to go to finals and then it goes from there.

At districts last month, sophomore Terra Spradling got second in dramatic interpretation which made her eligible for state on April 21.

Spradling said, “I won with Multiple Personality Murder and it’s about a little girl named Pat who has two different personalities. She switches throughout these characters during the piece and it explains how she got into a mental hospital after killing her step father.”

Although Spradling is moving on to state, there are still some things she is working on.

“During the piece I tend to stay in one spot the entire time, but since I’m switching between different personalities, I should improve on moving around more,” Spradling said.  

Along with nerves kicking in, Spradling has expressed her excitement about state and the opportunities it can give her.

Spradling said, “I’m indifferent about going to state right now, but I’m also really excited because this means I qualified for something big and colleges can see that.”

Spradling’s friends and teachers have rallied around her to show their support.

“I think she will do really well because she’s a very talented girl,” said Crabtree.