Pauli Leads Owls To Districts

Pauli took fourth at the state tournament last season.

Grant Pauli won his 100th career varsity match this season.

Drew Evans, Staff Writer

First, it was Jacob Warren and then it was Ryan Yarnell. Will Grant Pauli be the next Windsor state champion?

Pauli has been wrestling for about 11 years. As a junior this season, he picked up his 100th varsity victory. After finishing in fourth place at the state tournament last season, Pauli is looking for an even better finish this season. The Owls begin their district tournament today in Farmington.

New head wrestling coach Ryan Bollinger has seen Pauli grow over the past several years.  

“Grant puts in work and gets on the mat year round and it shows.  Sometimes his focus waivers a little bit, but that’s going to happen in high school wrestling.  Grant will continue to do big things for the Windsor wrestling program,” Bollinger said.

With the graduation of Warren and Yarnell, Pauli has taken on a leadership role this season.

“I have been wrestling for 11 years and my inspiration is just to keep competing. I’m a competitive person and wrestling makes me work hard. (It) pushes my body to the breaking point,” Pauli said.

Pauli heads into the district tournament with a 36-2 record.

“I expect him to keep on that same path and continue fighting for his for his goals.  After placing fourth at State last season he has his eyes on bigger things and I believe he can get there as long as he keeps his focus,” Bollinger said.

Bollinger thinks every wrestler has the potential to be a state qualifier, but it all depends on how well they wrestle this weekend.

“Wrestling is a sport that you can never stop learning in. It’s ever evolving with new styles and better all around wrestlers.  To get to the top, it takes some dedication throughout the year, not only the four months of the high school wrestling season. Grant has been on the mat somewhere for most of the year and it shows.  He has some rough edges, but like I said before you can never stop learning and improving and Pauli keeps at it,” Bollinger said.