Girls Soccer Preview–Mix Of Young And Old Should Be A Recipe For Success

The Owls return their top three scorers from last season.

Connor Hartmann, Sports Editor

Despite what the weather may lead you to believe, spring sports season has officially “kicked off” for the Windsor girls soccer team. The girls are hoping to build on a stellar season last year when they finished 11-10.

They have more reasons than just their record to be optimistic, though. Last year, the team’s season ended after a 2-1 loss in districts to Hillsboro. However, they return their top three scorers from last season–sophomores Bailey Peters (38 points), Jordan Kolinski (27 points) and Symphony Schodroski (17 points).

The team is being held to a high standard as usual.

Head coach Mike Hutchison said, “We always have high expectations. My saying from year to year is… ‘the faces change, but the expectations stay the same.’ Our goals are to compete for a conference championship, win districts, and advance in the state tournament.”

Oh, and not to mention that the team featured seven freshmen on the varsity roster a season ago. The team’s older leaders have embraced the youth of the team as well.

That past two years, it’s been great. Our captains and seniors have been awesome. They have been great mentors, role models, and very patient as the younger players learn their game at a higher level. They were not given that help when they were younger, and they were determined to change the culture. They have done an admirable job,” Hutchison said.

One senior leader in particular has an exceptionally tough role to tackle this spring. Five-sport athlete Keri Voegtle will balance playing soccer and participating as part of the track and field team as well.

“I plan on managing my time by writing down every game and meet (in my calendar) to see what I will be able to do,” Voegtle said. “And do the most I possibly can between the two.”

Voegtle is not the only one being tasked with a big leadership role this year, either. Hutchison expects there to be a large number of contributors to the team’s anticipated success.

“Bailey Peters, Jordan Kolinski, Maddie Gillick, Alyssa Weisner, and Symphony Schodroski will be our main offensive weapons. Keri Voegtle will lead the defense and mark the opponents’ best player. Sam Sabatino, Bella and Biz Spurgeon will be main forces in the defense. Mackenzie LaPlant and Mya Long will be our sweepers and clean up any mess that’s left before they get to our goalie. Piper Montgomery is our goalie and has been doing a great job. She learned how to play the position under fire last season and is much more comfortable this year,” Hutchison said.

The Owls begin their season in the Fox tournament where they will face St.Pius X at 4:15 pm today at Fox.

Voegtle said, “I am confident in the team, as we all have good chemistry, we will make our goals happen this season.”