The Hoot

2019 Track and Field Preview

The Owls boys and girls recently finished second in the Potosi Invitational.

Biz Spurgeon, Staff Writer

With the weather constantly fluctuating between below freezing and the perfect weather to practice, the Windsor track team is doing whatever it takes to be successful this season.  The coaches have been able to adjust and have already held many beneficial indoor practices this season.

“With track, many workouts are rough.  The weather is sometimes rotten, and meets are true challenges and places for personal growth, which is scary,” head girls track coach Stephany Dueker said.

The boys’ track team was lucky enough to have a few seniors come out, but the majority of their team this year are underclassman.

“We are a younger team this season. I have some experienced kids, such as Luke Stallings, Alex Ahrens and Seif Elkhashab, but the majority of our sprinters are underclassmen,” head boys track coach Jeff Stoffey said.

Despite being such a young team, the boys still put in a lot of hard work during the offseason. Some worked with the strength and conditioning coach, Coach Van Valkenburg, while others worked on their endurace with distance coach John Leech.

“Several of our boys, such as Seif Elkhashab, Drew Evans, and Garrett Hogan, among others, have put in the offseason work with Coach Van Valkenburg. Athletes such as Andy McCrory, Michael Wolcott, and  Austin Henry are also another year stronger and faster. Several of our distance boys have been putting in the work with Coach Leech all offseason,” Stoffey said

While the boys’ team is looking forward to a promising season, the girls’ team is hoping for many surprises this year.

“My group is a little bigger this year, our attitudes are more mature, and my talent is a little more even across the board,” Dueker said.

The girls team has nearly 30 girls this season, while the boys have over 40. That means more opportunities for success. 

“I have a great group and they are all working hard.  This means I should be pleasantly surprised by our improvement throughout our season,” Dueker siad.

With that, both the boys and girls are looking forward to a most successful season. The boys and girls both finished second in the Potosi Invitational on Tuesday.

“Everything we do is about getting bigger, faster, and stronger. Track isn’t always the most fun sport in the world because it is hard work, but we are here to make better athletes. Those that buy in to that will not regret it. They will see significant improvement in their other sports,” Stoffey said.