Playing For A Cause

The 3 on 3 tournament raised money for the Amabile family.

The+champions+show+off+their+trophy.+

The champions show off their trophy.

Keri Voegtle, Staff Writer

Tina Amabile was recently diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. To help pay for her medical bills, coach Chris Malec organized the 3v3 basketball fundraiser that took place on Friday.

Sophomore Sonny Amabile, son of Tina Amabile, said, “My mom has always told me to stay positive through this. I just pushed her to know that she can do it and I am always there if she needs anything.”

There were many ways to raise money for the Amabile family, including: a donation box instead of admission to watch the 3v3 games, 50/50 raffles that had prizes that were donated, prize baskets and Cardinal tickets, and even a grill. They also had the concession stand open with donated food, with all the money going to the Amabile family.

Sonny said, “The 3v3 helped a lot and a lot of people came out and supported her.”

The Blue Owl also raised money for her as well. Tina works at the Blue Owl in Kimmswick.

Malec said, “I think it went very well. People stayed to watch the rest of the games and everyone had a good time. All proceeds went to the Amabiles and was an overall success.”

Overall, there were 20 teams that participated in the 3v3 tournament.

The championship game included the teachers playing the students. On the students side, it was Derek Williams, Gabe Dohack, Andy Omanovic, and Tanner Berry.

Williams said, “I got motivated by seeing my old coaches playing and being able to have bragging rights to the teachers.”

The students upset the teachers to bring home the championship. The teachers team included Jeff Stoffey, Brian Gilbert, Chris Krueger, and Michael Alvarado.  

“I’m pretty devastated. We blew it. It felt like junior year of high school all over again,” Stoffey said. “But it was a great experience and it was all for a great cause.”