Winter Sports Preview: Girls Basketball

The Owls begin play at 7pm tonight at Herculaneum.

Alex Julian, Staff Writer

For the past couple of seasons, it had become clear that the future for the girls basketball team was very bright. 

The future is now. 

Coming off of a 6-18 season, the Windsor girls basketball team expects much better results this season. 

While the team does not have any seniors, they still have several leaders on the team. 

Head coach Kim Schmidt said, “Even though we don’t have any seniors, we do have some returning players from last year who logged some time and have seen how the varsity level works. Those are some people who can step up and bring some leadership that some seniors have in the past.” 

The varsity roster consists of eight juniors, four sophomores and one freshman. 

Freshman Reagan Daly is showing great promise and has improved over the offseason. 

Daly said, “I feel like I have improved my shooting and communication with my teammates. I worked all summer to get better on everything – my dribbling, shooting ability, vertical – anything that would help me with this upcoming season.”

The Owls return leading scorer Piper Montgomery, who averaged 7.1 points per game last season.

Montgomery said, “I think that we have great chemistry and that is helpful, not only on, but also off the court. We have a few underclassmen, but they also fit in great with our team chemistry, so I expect a fun and successful season.”

Biz and Bella Spurgeon both saw quality varsity minutes last season, so they should play a large role this season. Players such as Symphony Schodroski, Megan Mueller, Sophie Dubis, Sydney Winkelmann, Cierra Parker, Riley Siegel and Lauren Bilbrey will also see time on the court. 

“Biz Spurgeon is someone that will be a little more vocal and help manage the team. Piper is someone who is always doing the right thing always working hard and so a lot of time she leads by example, but I think she is someone who will step up vocally as well,” Schmidt said.

While the team is optimistic about seeing vast improvements this year, the team will have to prove it on the court. The team plays their first regular season game at 7pm today at Herculaneum. 

Schmidt said, “There are quite a few people who can make some huge jumps this year, both offensively and defensively. We didn’t really have a lot of scoring in the past and it is open to grab and I don’t think there’s one person that is available to do that. I think there’s a lot of them and I think it might be one game someone does and the next game someone else does, but I think there’s a lot of options for that role.”