The New Normal: Planning For Uncertain Times

Summer school and graduation will take place in some fashion.

Austin Williams, Editor-in-Chief

Summer vacation is a time every student looks forward to each year. There’s no school. The weather is nice. They can go outside and hang out with friends. They can go anywhere and do anything. It’s a fun time. However, this school year, it seems that summer vacation will be much longer—and not so fun.

Since March 18, Windsor C-1, along with other Jefferson County schools, have closed their buildings due to COVID-19 and switched to online learning with the intention of returning to school in early April. That was later extended to the end of April. Then, after an announcement from Governor Parson, things have changed for all Missouri schools.

Governor Parson said, “Continuing our efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19, I am ordering all public and charter schools to remain closed through the remainder of this academic year, with the exception of nutrition and child care outlined in our Stay Home Missouri Order.”

With an announcement like this, it leaves the question open for how things like summer school and graduation will work. Surely these things will be handled differently from school to school, but know that Windsor has a plan in place already.

Windsor High School principal Jason Naucke said, “We are currently in the process of planning for both an ‘in-person’ and a ‘virtual’ summer school. Again, this will be determined by what we will be allowed to do as a school in terms of safely adhering to health guidelines that are in place.”

Summer school will be happening. It seems the real question is whether it takes place in-person or virtually. More information will be released as summer school nears.

As for graduation, a similar plan is in place.

“Similar to summer school, we are planning for both an ‘in-person’ and a ‘virtual’ ceremony.  Obviously, we will do everything possible to have an in person ceremony to maintain the traditions that have been a part of our community for 50 years,” Naucke said.

While summer school and graduation are two things students will have to wait to hear more information on, there are still things students can access at the school, as needed.

Windsor High School attendance secretary Jennifer Williams said, “Parents and students can call the main office as one of our administrators has been in the office from 9am to 2pm, Monday through Friday. If no one answers they can leave a message and someone will return their call as soon as possible. I personally have had a few students reach out needing work permits. I have arranged for them to come by and pick it up at the office.”

There are also similar methods in place for students needing to pick up their homework.

Williams said, “We have arranged a no-contact pickup for homework or work permits. We have been putting them in an envelope with their name on it and then putting it in a box at the main entrance of the high school.”

Even though things are looking uncertain, Windsor is staying prepared any way they can. Whether it’s summer school, graduation, handing out homework, or providing students with work permits, Windsor is continuing to provide for their students.

“Due to this unique situation, it has been a challenge to be fully prepared. For example, in the past month, there have been several changes and requirements that have been placed upon schools and communities by local, state, and federal governments. The priority for WHS is to continue to provide access to learning for our students,” Naucke said.